The goals of The Miranda Family “Voces Latinx” National Playwriting Competition are to discover, develop, and promote Latine/Latinx plays and playwrights that explore every aspect of contemporary life from every corner the United States including Puerto Rico as well as histories that connect us to our homelands whether it originates in Mexican, Spanish, Caribbean, Central or South American tradition.
By the mid-21st Century, 1 in 3 people will identify as having raíces Latine/Latinx (Latin roots). We have journeys and histories that need to be heard and experienced on stage. Through Voces LatinX, we hope to celebrate our community, its complex identities and experiences.
We encourage underrepresented voices, Afro-Latinx, Indigenous, LGBTTQIA+ and Women from the community to participate as playwrights or as judges.
We welcome all full length plays in English, Spanish or Bilingual where Latine/Latinx characters are central to the play and heroes of their own stories.
We need all perspectives as we look to strengthen our presence and impact as theatre artists. To that end, Voces LatinX provides that first action to create an American Theatre that is inclusive and reflective of the Pan Latine/Latinx Community.
• Latinx culture, history, ideals and characters must be central to the play submitted. The community must be accurately depicted.
• No screenplays, one act plays, adaptations or translations will be accepted.
• Musicals must submit the recorded music.
• New and un-produced plays preferred. Plays that have had readings or a workshop production are acceptable.
• All plays must be original and full-length (minimum running time: 75 minutes) Must be at least 18 years of age and residents of the United States or Puerto Rico.
TO SUBMIT & MORE INFO: email@example.com
• ● In subject line: Voces Latinx: Name of play
• ● In body of e mail: Name, Address, Cell phone plus
• 4-6 line Synopsis and how this accurately reflects and amplifies the Latine/Latinx community.
• Cash Prizes and staged readings for top 5 plays